What is BDNF?
Brain Derived Neurotrophic Factor. This chemical is responsible for keeping your mind in tip-top shape by protecting your cells against damaging factors that deplete their efficiency. When something like stress – something we all encounter – mutilates brain cells, BDNF comes to the rescue. In other words, BDNF protects against the inevitable wear-and-tear of your mind by repairing and regrowing brain cells throughout your life.
When BDNF Levels are High:
- Healthy weight is maintained due to suppressed appetite and increased metabolism
- Acquiring new knowledge is easier and memories are better retained
- Deeper, more restorative sleep is achieved
This chemical is responsible for keeping your mind in tip-top shape by protecting your cells against damaging factors that deplete their efficiency.
How to Boost BDNF Levels:
- Exercise: Endurance exercise is associated with the release of a protein called FNDC5, which in turn can amp up BDNF by up to 300%
- Sunlight Exposure: Studies show BDNF levels are higher in Spring and Summertime, due to increased sunlight
- Deep Sleep: Your body goes through several 90-minute sleep stages throughout the night. The deeper the sleep, the more BDNF released.
- Temperature: The sudden shock of heat from a sauna or a cold shower can be associated with increased BDNF levels
- Diet: Fish oil, coffee fruit extract (i.e. in supplement form) and soy have been shown to increase BDNF levels